Re: [RC] Define Good Back Conformation - Heidi Smith

>fads in breeding for the show ring.  Anybody care to comment?

Meant to comment about this aspect in my last post.  The fad in the Arabian show ring has been to breed "sausages"--long "scopey" horses.  And one can easily follow this trend as it spins off into endurance by making note of the increase in back pathology in our horses in recent years, and watching how so many fairly decent-legged horses go lame, simply because they cannot round, and hence beat their legs up going hollow down the trail.  The frustration in saddle fit is a fairly new thing--not that saddle fit hasn't always been important, but I thnk we are seeing a lot of horses that are very difficult to fit now, that we didn't used to see, simply because backs have become so uniformly poor.

BTW, QH backs have pretty well gone the same route, if one really looks at their show horses, too....

Heidi