Re: [RC] Define Good Back Conformation - Heidi Smith

>It might be worthwhile to define just what makes a good back. Sharon Saare presented some great observations at a convention recently about poor back conformation, saddle fit, and fads in breeding for the show ring.  Anybody care to comment?

Several components to a good back:

1)  Proportionate to shoulder and hip.  It is difficult to have a really GOOD back unless the shoulder is well laid back and the hip is long, deep, and strong so that it ties in well through the loin.  If the back is too long, it is a weak link--the horse cannot round properly to carry weight.  I've heard people talk about backs being "too short"--and I have a hard time envisioning this, but I suppose it occurs when the back is "in proportion" to a hip and shoulder that are likewise too short.  The back should be 1/3 of the body length--but if the hip and shoulder are short, then the back also could be short.  Given an adequate hip and shoulder, though, the 1/3 back is ample--and if the back is more than 1/3, the mechanics required to to lift the back become overwhelming.  So it is difficult to have a good back as a part separate from the rest of the body.  In addition to the back being short, the underline should be long--again, this relates to proper conformation of shoulder and hip as well, and you really can't have a top-notch back without the overall body being in good proportion.

2)  Strong loin.  The back has to have good skeletal structure and good musculature attaching it to the hindquarter to be able to function properly.

3)  Good musculature for the entire length of the back.  The muscles that run the length of the spinous processes should be strong and well-developed.

4)  Good withers--not just high, but that run well back into the thorax.

5)  Well-sprung rib cage.  This gives the horse his lung room and the beginnings of the space he needs to house his hindgut--both important features of being able to do aerobic work.  Furthermore, how the ribcage and back relate and the nature of the withers are the features that keep the saddle in position withouth extraneous tack--or don't, if they aren't built properly.

Have I missed anything here?

Heidi