Re: RC: a feeding question

At 10:51 AM 2/17/00 -0500, Chelle Sherman wrote:
>My question regards calcium/phosphorus ratio. I know that there needs to
>be more calcium than phosphorus. I feed my horse a lot of beet pulp
>(shredded type, about 2 quarts, twice a day). He gets it heavily soaked
>(read: soup), with about 2 quarts of grain (12% protein sweet feed)
>mixed in at each feeding. He loves his big, steaming bucket of gruel and
>slops up every drop. He gets free-choice, medium-quality grass hay, and
>of course, water and salt. He is coming 6 years old, and about halfway
>through his first couple years of LSD base-building. He is doing great -
>looks sleek and fit, and just the right weight - about a 5.5 on the body
>condition scale.

Hi Chelle:  The best person would be to ask Susan Garlinghouse.  I'll send
a cc of this to her and if she has time I'm sure she'll answer.  She's
currently in vet school.  Taking class *and* teaching nutrition!!

>So here's my question: I heard from somebody that beet pulp has a lot of
>calcium. What in his diet has phosphorus, and how can I evaluate whether
>the ratio is OK? Any takers? Thanks in advance.

I would think that, based upon what I'm feeding my horses (which is what
Susan told me to do, I do everything she tells me <g>), that you are
okay.  I'd probably cut out some of the grain though.  Is the 2 quarts you
are feeding of the sweet feed twice a day?  That just seems like a huge
amount to me.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, who gets yanked out of the mud tomorrow to go do the 20 Mule Team 100
& Weaver, who's gonna be p.o.'d  :+)