slaughter to superstar

In a message dated 03/14/2000 9:32:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
SandyDSA@aol.com writes:

<<  Well, in the end, buying
 a horse at a dead end auction where Alpo is present never struck me as a
 place to go looking fo an athlete - a HALTER retiree or reject, maybe, but
 not a good athlete in good shape. >>

Sandy:

This jumped out at me and I had to share.  I bought my first Arab at an
auction in Thurmont, MD, where too many of the horses sold go to the meat
market.  I was there 13 years ago on one fateful night, looking over the
horses.  There were five scrawny looking Arabs standing in a pen huddled
together.  I said to my husband, "That's so sad.  You know where they're all
headed."

The second horse presented that night came from that pen.  His name was CBS
Redman.  He was the most beautiful horse I had ever seen, especially all
tacked up and blowing smoke--he was very nervous.  Suddenly, we were bidding.
 I couldn't even breathe I was so excited and nervous.  The gavel fell at
$1,250--I think it was a record for an Arab at this auction house.  They
don't like "them Arabs" much there.

You have a 3 day soundness guarantee from this auction house.  My vet and
friend, Dottie McAdams, examined "Red" the next day.  She said he was a
"little loose in the stifles--nothing a little exercise wouldn't fix."  :-)
Well, I sure took her advice to heart and his fabulous endurance career began.

Many of you know the story...he's been a superstar in the sport and
completely changed my life.  With him, I've traveled all over the country and
to Holland to compete in the World Championship. It was one night, one horse,
at an auction 13 years ago--fairy tales do happen and dreams do come true!
Redman's story is filled with so much drama--the stirring victories, the
heartbreaking failures--maybe someday I'll write the story.  In my spare
time...   Debi Gordon

---- Begin included message ----
In a message dated 3/14/00 5:29:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, smw@sos.net