Re: RC: Fw: Re: Tree-hugger

In a message dated 3/14/00 4:51:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< The only dairies I've been around that I'd agree with you about are small,
 private ones.  The big commercial ones are disgusting.  Just driving near
 one on a hot day makes one car sick with the smell - not quite as bad as
 feed lots but almost. >>

Lif, your example with the dead calf is indeed a rarity in the dairy
industry.  While the calves are indeed not a particularly "useful" commodity
in the dairy, getting the calf delivered rapidly and with as little trauma to
the cow as possible is a MAJOR priority, as lowered milk production is a
sequelae to a calving problem.  An unhealthy uterus (be it due to inflamation
or infection following a complicated calving) interferes with both the
hormonal regulation of lactation as well as the general health of the cow,
both of which are dollars down the drain to the dairyman.  Dairies that don't
take good care of their cows don't stay in business very long in the
competitive market.

Heidi