Splints

Hi all,

I have a question about splints.  What exactly are they?  I think Jos may
have one based on the descriptions I've read in the archives and my horse
books.  He has a small knot about 3-4 inches below his knee and he is sore
(Grade 1?) although he does not act sore if I put any pressure on the knot.
I'm having the vet come out to take a look and, of course, it may not be a
splint at all but I'm curious anyway.  How do they occur?  What is the
long-term prognosis?  How do you treat?

Jos suffered a sesamoid injury in June of 1998.  He was slowly brought back
to work, starting with hand walking, graduating to light lunging and finally
dressage lessons one time per week in early November and light riding several
times per week.  There were no signs of lameness during that time.  We have
not done very much trail work since June and what we have done has been at the
walk (for the most part!) and easy terrain.  Any comments?

Thanks for the help!

Sheri Kuykendall and Jos
Salt Lake City, UT