Re: Splints

In a message dated 2/9/99 12:51:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
skuykend@tax.state.ut.us writes:

<< I have a question about splints.  What exactly are they?  I think Jos may
 have one based on the descriptions I've read in the archives and my horse
 books.  He has a small knot about 3-4 inches below his knee and he is sore
 (Grade 1?) although he does not act sore if I put any pressure on the knot.
 I'm having the vet come out to take a look and, of course, it may not be a
 splint at all but I'm curious anyway.  How do they occur?  What is the
 long-term prognosis?  How do you treat?

If the splint bone is not fractured, then the most common occurance of the
problem happens this way:

If the cannon bone of the horse is suddenly put under stress it's not ready
for, it will quickly start to remodel. When this happens, the bone will gain
in diameter while losing density--the new bone is "paid for" from within.

Now, the splint bone is attached to the cannon bone via the interosseus
ligament, which has little hairlike tendrils that embed in the cannon bone.
When the bone becomes porous, though, these tendrils pull away. The splint
bone starts to wiggle. This wakes up the immune system of the horse which
sends down it's Rapid Response team and builds a boney patch between the
splint bone and cannon bone. Takes a while--and the bump is sore and inflamed
as this process is underway.

The main thing to know is whether you have a "splint" or a fracture. If the
splint is still very aggravating in 30 days, it's time for an x-ray.

ti