Re: Splints

<< I have a question about splints.  What exactly are they?  I think Jos
may have one based on the descriptions I've read in the archives and my
horse books.  He has a small knot about 3-4 inches below his knee and he is
sore (Grade 1?) although he does not act sore if I put any pressure on the
knot.

If it is a splint then the horse will be sore while it is forming.  After
it's formation it should not affect the horse at all.  Unless it is on the
carpal knee joint or annoys the suspensory ligament.

Some people believe that it strenghtnens a horses legs to have a splint, as
the splint bone is so thin and narrow and can be easily damaged.

Splints can be caused through work on hard surfaces or a dietry problem.
Check your diet and make sure that the horse is getting enough calcium,
phosphorus, Vit A and Vit D in the correct amounts.

Donna P.
www.horseconnect.com.au
donna@webexpress.net.au
Donna P.