Re: Endurance Movement

In a message dated 2/7/99 12:38:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, 4horn@home.com
writes:

<< So, is this wide tracking something that horse "learn" to do, assuming
 that they are properly balanced and driving off the rear? When looking
 at a prospect would I see this type of movement at liberty?

 Lauren >>

Some prospects MAY do it, but it is something that gets better with training.
Yes, I would look for it, but if a horse travels with decent width behind and
has the back and loin to get his rear end up under himself, he will tend to do
it more as he gets fit and can sustain a big trot for longer periods of time.
The big muscles that "adduct" the legs do develop and become more fit with
work, just like everything else.  With most horses you will notice a tendency
for the hind legs to get closer and closer as fatigue sets in--which is why
they are more apt to interfere toward the end of a ride than at the beginning
if they tend to travel a bit close.  Whether or not you see the really wide
movement in a prospect, I would sure look for a horse with good space between
his hind feet when he moves.

Heidi