Farriers

-----Original Message-----
From: Maggie Mieske <mmieske@netonecom.net>
To: horse Connect - Donna Paton <donna@webexpress.net.au>
Cc: slypner@juno.com <slypner@juno.com>; Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Friday, 5 February 1999 2:56
Subject: Re: Farriers

Dear Donna,
Boy!  Wish all of our clients were like you!  Many are thoughtful with that
glass or water (or lately hot cup of coffee or cocoa) and have their horses
ready or invite you in to warm up or whatever, gives us something to look
forward to... Does your farrier look forward to trimming/shoeing YOUR horse?

#Maggie - My farrier is the best.  He does look forward to doing my horses.
I never put pressure on him to when I would like them done and I always work
around his schedule, if he is running late well so be it.  I can always find
something to fill in time.

But do you think he likes working with you, taking care of your horse's
feet, etc?

# Not only does he like looking after my horses feet, but he is a great
source of information on any problems that i have and he shares readily only
because I treat him with respect and he treats me the same.  I confirm with
him on everything horsey or not.

Does he have to clean 2 inches of muck off their hooves?

#Never,  If it has been wet I'm always there early to make sure that they
are clean and locked up and waiting.

Does he have a clean, dry place to work when it's nasty or cool, shady place
when it's hot?

We are on a old dairy farm, it has a pretty old dairy shed, where they used
to milk but we can stand in there to do everything.  It has a cement floor
and in a cool place on a hot day.

I always bring a soft drink or a cordial bottle of cold water with me and
give it to him.  Usually by the time he gets to me his water is hot.

I agree with you.  A farriers life is a hard one and the better you look
after them the better they will look after you.  This is not saying that
they wont do a good job but they will tell you more and quiet often they
will move heaven and earth to do your horses when you are truly desperate.

Donna P.
www.horseconnect.com.au
donna@webexpress.net.au