Farriers

Please don't let the fact that the farrier rubs over the hoof after folding down the clinches worry you,  we do it here to prevent any sharp metal bits from the nails cutting the horses legs as they move around.  We also rub around the bottom where the hoof and shoe meet to make it a nice neat fit and prevent any little bits of hoof poking over and getting broken off.

Horses naturally loose their sole, so why not help the process?  It can be uncomfortable for the horse if it is not tidied up enough keep healthy. You could end up with loose bits of rubbery smelly ( very stinky) pieces on your hooves.  You could even cause them to get thrush.

If you are weighing up metal and plastic shoes, weigh up the costs also and the durability.  Just because the people pay these experts to do a review on the doesn't always mean that they are going to be economically viable to use.  Lets face it who can afford to through good money out the window when you could be using it to pay for more important things then the fad of the moment.  These new shoes may not last as long and may cost more.

Now I don't believe in using  any chains or restraints on a horse when you are working with them.  But in a farriers defence what time of day was it did he go to do your horses feet?  How many horses had he done before you?  It is very back breaking work and that's why we all pay someone to do it because we could really learn to do it for ourselves but it is hard work.  So when a farrier suggests something like this it is to help easy the pain on his poor back.

I agree with you do more work with her feet.  Get a little bit of plastic pipe and pick her foot up and use the pipe like a rasp and a hammer like your farrier would and gradually increase the time each day that you do it for.  She will soon stand still to get her feet done.

I always everyday rub hoof oil on mu horses feet. I use a oil from the slaughter yards that is made from horses.  I look at it this way it's horses helping horses.  It is a fantastic oil and really does help.

Donna P.
www.horseconnect.com.au
donna@webexpress.net.au