First Ride of season(long)

Hi all,

Well , here in Gauteng,South Africa, we had the first ride of our new
1999 season this weekend.
The ride was held in Potchefstroom at the military training base for the
cavalry.I entered my mare Shaliekah and we planned to do a slow
15km/hour ride as it is only her 2nd season and we are working up to our
first 100 miler in April. The day was hot,hot,hot!!!
The morning started out overcast and humid and when the sun came out it
was above 35 degrees. You may remember last year I posted about lazy
horses and her attitude problems, and everyone came back with the advice
of just wait and take it slowly , she will get better! Well, she was a
totally different horse this ride!!!.
 We rode in a pack of 6 and we had a problem straight away. The two
leading horses can trot really well- both experienced endurance horses
with many miles . Shaliekah can trot fasy but it soon got uncomfortable
for her and she would break into a canter to catch up and then trot
again etc.The other two can't canter at her speed so  I thought I would
just let her see what she wanted to do and she cantered past them and
just kept there!! Ears forward and lovely rythm on we went(the
occasional buck and run away too!!) She drank well at all the water
points- every 5 kms(when the army organises things there is no shortage
of manpower!!)
At one point she slammed on brakes and stared into the shoulder high
grass . I saw movement and the next moment a zebra bounded across the
road in front of us.. First check she came in and ate and ate and ate.
Pulse 40.
Next leg was really hot , but she was keen and up front again. We
cantered most of the way with a period of 5 kms where a herd of 10
Gemsbok keeping pace parrallel to us - want to give your horse the
competitive edge-try that!!
Next check pulse 44. The third leg is only 9 kms and boy we motored(for
her that is) 18km/h and drinking all the time!!. Pulse 48 and even
enough energy left to give an almighty buck that had me hanging around
her ears!!.  We WON the lightweight division and she has a huge trophy
in her stable(don't tell the organisers!!) A lot of riders
underestimated the humidity and many horses were pulled for pulse. I
must admit that the Standard weight winner did the 80 km's in 2 hours 35
with pulses of 32,40,42, and 40!!!

SO, thanks guys for the advice - she is turning out as you all
said...and , do I love her- she is one of these mares with an attitude
but willing to give all if you approach her right- it is patience,lots
of training(dressage and miles), and trust.

Regards,
Cindy Budler
  Natcon
  Fabrication Division