Ridecamp - Future

Ridecamp subscribers:

After I returned from our regional convention and saw the
most recent use of Ridecamp for a personal attack I decided
something has to change. After hours of pondering the situation
(plus a few glasses of red wine, a hot bath, and some quality
time discussing this with the horses) I've reached two conclusions:

1) Ridecamp is too large and powerful to continue the
way it is. The size and scope of the audience and the
obvious potential for harm to person and property
demands more responsibility and regulation from me
as list provider.

2) Ridecamp is an amazing phenomenon - this informal
gathering of experts and beginners world-wide is too
great to lose. It's become a community as much as
a bulletin board, and I am fully dedicated to protecting it.

So, I'm going to implement the following changes. The
timeline will depend upon how long it takes me to get
everything set up and working - it will probably be at least
a week, maybe two.

First off, I'm going to invest in commercial listserve software.
This will provide better options on how the messages are
delivered, presented, indexed, digested, archived, etc .
i.e. easier to manage and better service

The biggest change will be that Ridecamp subscribers will
have to register before they are put on the distribution list.
(It will be more like subscribing to a publication.) I will
provide a form for web or email registration similar to the
one that already exists, but will be asking for a little more info.

I am also going to ask  for a one-time subscription fee
of $10 for all registrants. If the $10 fee is a problem for
you, let me  know and I can waive it. If you can afford
more, it will be greatly appreciated. All funds received
will go towards the software and administrative help.

The 'Guest' form will remain for those who do not wish to
subscribe but I will screen these posts before they are
distributed to Ridecamp.  I don't mind anonymous posts,
but will make sure offensive posts don't reach the list.

I will continue to archive the messages and make them
available to all via the web page.

This is not going to entirely prevent harmful things from
being said, but I'm hoping it will be an adequate
deterrent against character attacks such as we were
recently witness to. I will at least be able to control who
is given the ability to post to the list.

I guess that's about it. I'll keep everybody updated on
when/how changes will occur. Other than needing to
resubscribe via the Registration form, you should not
perceive much in the way of change. Thanks to all of
you who have sent words of encouragement and advice!

Steph Teeter