Re: barefoot

In a message dated 1/30/99 6:50:00 AM EST, guest@endurance.net writes:

<<
 I would be interested in hearing from anyone who rides barefoot horses.

Let's assume you're talking about endurance riding, rather than pleasure
riding.  I have only had one horse that I routinely did LD rides barefoot.  He
had great, hard feet (a mustang) and did fine on most rides without shoes.  On
the rides that were rocky or very hard (gravel roads) I used easyboots on him.
He did just fine.  If you are speaking of pleasure trail riding, you still can
go barefoot if your horse is comfortable like that, and use easyboots should
the trail get too rocky or hard.  I think more horses can pleasure ride
barefoot, yet most endurance horses need more protection simply due to the
miles they go over.  Just be very sure your horse has very good, healthy feet
and is comfortable barefoot.
Leigh