Re: one more lesson learned....comments.....

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

> Yes, that is the logic behind the halter-bridles, but for some reason, I am
> reluctant to put on a bit without the mechanical advantage of being able to
> put my right hand over the top of the poll, holding the top of the bridle and
> gently easing the bit into the mouth with the left.  I've watched people
> trying to put the bit into the mouth without using the "hand on the poll"
> technique, and so often the bit ends up jamming the horse in the teeth because
> you are pushing upwards rather than lifting from the top while guiding the bit
> in.  Am I missing some simple trick that enables me to slip the bit in from
> below without hurting the horse?  I'm willing to learn.

Put the halter on at home.

Put the bridle on over the halter (just a regular bridle with a bit and a
head stall, browband, throatlatch) when you wantt to ride.

Take the bridle off when done riding.

Remove halter when you get home.

When I firstt started endurance I thought it would be cool to have one of
those halter/bridle combo things, but I could never justify spending the
money when I already owned a halter and a bridle.

Have now found that I MUCH prefer having the bit attached to a proper
headstall (for a bunch of reasons, not the least of them being tthat it is
much easier to get the bit in the horse's mouth as you mention).

kat
Orange County, Calif.