Re: one more lesson learned....comments.....

>In a message dated 1/29/99 8:42:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>Teddy@runningbear.com writes:
>
><< Say, Isn't this one of the major reasons trail bridles (brible/halters,
>endurance
> bridles, etc.) were made?  Put on horse at HOME, trailer in it, have the
>horse
> LIVE in it.  Just add the bit when you ride.
>  >>

>Yes, that is the logic behind the halter-bridles, but for some reason, I am
>reluctant to put on a bit without the mechanical advantage of being able to
>put my right hand over the top of the poll, holding the top of the bridle and
>gently easing the bit into the mouth with the left.  I've watched people
>trying to put the bit into the mouth without using the "hand on the poll"
>technique, and so often the bit ends up jamming the horse in the teeth because
>you are pushing upwards rather than lifting from the top while guiding the bit
>in.  Am I missing some simple trick that enables me to slip the bit in from
>below without hurting the horse?  I'm willing to learn.
>
>Barbara

That's why I use the halter with add-on bridle combo from Sportack.  The
biothane is thin enough that I can just put the bridle on over the halter
and clip them together.  But even before,  when I was using a standard
nylon halter and leather bridle, I would just slip the bridle under the
nosepiece of the halter until the browband was clear, then slip the whole
thing on as usual.  I always ride with a halter on my horse (I need
something to clip a leadrope to when I'm leading anyway -- I'm not about to
lead him by the reins on his bit) -- and ridecamp or out on the trail is
not a place where I want to risk changing it out or having just a rope or
halter around his neck!  So the halter he leaves home in is the one he
wears until we return home.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky