Re: one more lesson learned....comments.....

In a message dated 1/29/99 8:42:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< Say, Isn't this one of the major reasons trail bridles (brible/halters,
endurance
 bridles, etc.) were made?  Put on horse at HOME, trailer in it, have the
horse
 LIVE in it.  Just add the bit when you ride.

Yes, that is the logic behind the halter-bridles, but for some reason, I am
reluctant to put on a bit without the mechanical advantage of being able to
put my right hand over the top of the poll, holding the top of the bridle and
gently easing the bit into the mouth with the left.  I've watched people
trying to put the bit into the mouth without using the "hand on the poll"
technique, and so often the bit ends up jamming the horse in the teeth because
you are pushing upwards rather than lifting from the top while guiding the bit
in.  Am I missing some simple trick that enables me to slip the bit in from
below without hurting the horse?  I'm willing to learn.

Barbara