bits in HB combos

> trying to put the bit into the mouth without using the "hand on the poll"
> technique, and so often the bit ends up jamming the horse in the teeth because
> you are pushing upwards rather than lifting from the top while guiding the bit
> in.  Am I missing some simple trick that enables me to slip the bit in from
> below without hurting the horse?  I'm willing to learn.

I'm no expert, and Lakota is certainly good about taking the bit (he was
like that when I bought him) ... this is what I do when putting the bit on
an HB combo:

Standing at left shoulder facing forward as he is, I hook bit on right
side of bridle, hold in left hand and bring to his mouth, put one finger
of right hand in his mouth on right side, he opens his mouth, and I use
both hands to place the bit without banging his teeth (too much :)), then
pull up on left side and clip.  Works for us, but then Lakota knows this
routine and opens his mouth when I slide a finger in on the side over the
bars.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310