Re: one more lesson learned....comments.....

In a message dated 1/28/99 11:10:30 AM EST, Dbeverly4 writes:

<< As far as thinking through all my options, unfortunately, I'm human and
we're kind of famous for making mistakes now and then.   >>

Just to clear up any misunderstanding....I, too, have made plenty of stupid,
thoughless mistakes while working with/around horses, and in trailering
horses.  I was hauling a strange horse once and I loaded the horse myself.  I
didn't think to ask if the horse tied, I was inside the trailer, in the last
stall of my slant load.  The horse didn't tie at all, ever.  When she knew I
had tied her, she ran backwards, got stopped by the rope and paniced.  I was
trying to be as small as I could in the front of the stall.  The snap broke
from her halter, flew back and hit my hands that were up in front of my face.
I had badly bruised palms, but I can only imagine what that snap would have
done to my face.  I did learn from this though.  I learned to have all horses
load themselves, even if I need to run a longe line through the trailer first.
and to always untie the horse before opening the back door.  I also learned
what to look for in a trailer, for safety of loading and unloading.  My
earlier post was not meant to sound rightous.  Just trying to point out that
all trailers can be unsafe, not just slant loads.
Leigh