Fwd: Nutrition ????(Your Ponies)

In a message dated 1/20/99 10:56:45 PM EST, epicarab@micron.net writes:

<<  I make sure
 she has access to free choice pasture and feed her a supplement called
"Northwest
 Mare & Foal" that my vet has had a hand in putting together.  I can't feed
either
 of these mares grain, so the supplement does a great job of providing
nutrients,
 without the grain.  Maybe you have something similar where you're at? >>

All I get from my vet when I've asked him about this pony is: " My God, Leigh,
she's fat as she can be.....don't worry, she's fine."  I worry about her
getting enough to feed the foal during the last trimester, prior to the last
several months I don't worry about it so much.  I use the beet pulp just as a
filler, so to speak.  My brother-in-law had several cows loose calves this
year because they were so fat, they couldn't have their babies!  This only
fans the flames of worry.  Don't want her too fat, but she needs enough to
maintain herself and grow her foal.
Leigh

---- Begin included message ----
Hi, Leigh,
I've noticed your posts about your ponies.  I seem to vaguely remember your
saying
that they were Welsh ponies?  Just curious.  I have a 20 year old Welsh pony
mare
who is also hypo thyroid and obese - very healthy otherwise though.  We raised
one
foal out of her and I'm seriously thinking about breeding her again this
spring,
before she gets any older.  I didn't feed her much of anything special when
she
was pregnant, as she was just too fat.  She and the foal were both very
healthy
and she had no foaling problems.  I keep her on Thyro-L and nursing seems to
help
keep her wait in check.  I also have an Arab mare who is hypo thyroid, and she
will actually drop quite a bit of weight, while nursing her foals.  I make
sure
she has access to free choice pasture and feed her a supplement called
"Northwest
Mare & Foal" that my vet has had a hand in putting together.  I can't feed
either
of these mares grain, so the supplement does a great job of providing
nutrients,
without the grain.  Maybe you have something similar where you're at?
Personally, I guess as long as she's in good shape and good health and her
diet is
as balanced as possible, I wouldn't worry about the foal's nutrition.  After
all,
you said her previous foals were just fine.  I'm a lot of help, huh? <g>
Take care,
Tina Balderston

---- End included message ----