Re: Sleister vs. Arabian S Hackamore

I tried an English (Jumper, Fleece Nosepad) Hackamore
in place of my Full-Cheek Snaffle at the GMHA 25-mile
CTR on June 13th, and it seemed to work well. It "steered"
about the same as the snaffle, but I didn't feel I could collect
him as well as with a bit. When he wanted to pull, he tucked
his chin under to avoid the curb. We did manage to get a
third place ribbon in a field of 50 <g>!

He likes the Mullen Mouth bit for driving and I'm going to try it
for riding.

I had purchased a Sleister as having more "stopping power",
but was afraid I might injure my horse with the loooong shanks.
The vet is due here tomorrow and I'll ask his opinion.

Some of our top Vermont riders at the 6/13 CTR suggested
I try the "S" Hack, as they are pleased with the results. They
pointed out that it is less likely to hang up when trying to drink
from a bucket. It has much shorter shanks than the Sleister.

John and Meshack
http://www.bypass.com/~ayers (Vermont Equestrian Activities)