HELP!!

Last week, everything stressful and time consuming thankfully left my
life, leaving me with a spring break for what else but, horses!  But, I
got the impression that my  horse had a different plan.  I went out to
the barn and rode yesterday (sadly, for the first time in a little less
than a month).  Just FYI-- I am not fortunate enough to live on premise
of my stables, they are almost an hour away.  Anyhow, things were going
good on our ride, but all of the sudden Toledo decided that he wanted to
GO!  So, figuring it was the weather, I pulled him back down to earth
and we continued, but about that time, his group of buddies came
rambling into the pasture, galloping full speed, and guess what, he
wanted to be with THEM! I seem to have this trouble, lack of
concenctration on my horse's part.  He seems not to want to work, only
to play!  Or RUN!  :o) His attention mostly seems to be drawn to going
back to the barn, or pasture, from whence he came.  Is this rider error?
For, forgive me, but it is making me feel like a lesser rider!  Or
perhaps is it only due to my lack of frequently working him?  Any
suggestions at how I can get my horse to realise that when I'm in the
saddle, he needs to  listen to me and get to work?
Thanks for your time, and sorry for rambling on so.Devony
Any help would be appreciated!Toledo (Can't I just go and play Mom?)
Snickers Praises (yearling paint filly recently won in a raffle!)