Re: RC: entry dinner fees

In a message dated 3/14/99 9:11:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Endure4fun@aol.com writes:

<< I think it Should be our choice if
 we want to pay for dinner or not.  I know some people leave right after the
 ride for one reason or another, others finish ride on the clock, others just
 don't want to eat.  I think if I decide not to purchase dinner ticket with my
 entry and then after ride I want to eat I can buy a ticket then.  If there
 isn't enough food, that is my problem, at least I haven't put the money out
 for something that isn't there!
 California rides are notorious for running out of food or over selling the
 tickets for amount of food provided!  >>

I had not realized California rides were notorious for  running out of food.
I guess I have never attended one that did.

Providing food for riders is a complicated procedure for some ride managers.
I've known rides sponsored by clubs, so the members bought the food in bulk
and did all the cooking. This seems to work out well, and they appeared not to
have a shortage of food, nor have a problem with the leftovers. Our rides are
family sponsored, we haven't the time to cook as well as run the ride, so we
hire a caterer. She does a great job, and has never, to my knowledge, run out
of food. She needs to know, at least 10 days in advance, how much food to
order; that's why we have a cutoff time for entries. I give her a number,
based on riders entered and extra dinners pre-purchased. We are committed to
pay her for that number. Neither one of us wants, nor can she afford, to take
the loss if the numbers are significantly different from those ordered. We
realize that some people go home early; we know some change their minds. We
cannot be expected to take this loss, nor the caterer.  We have always felt
that providing a nice meal at the end of the ride was something that was
traditional.  We also offer, at rider cost, a pre-ride dinner. It certainly
would be MUCH easier on ride management not to have to deal with food
arrangements at all. And if we didn't provide any food at all, we could lower
the entry fee to reflect the saving on the dinner. We are charged $13 for an
excellent, large meal, and that's what we charge for extra dinners ordered.

Is it time to re-think the food situation?  I would be most interested in
opinions from riders all over.

Barbara McCrary
Ride mgr., Castle Rock 50, Applegate-Lassen Trail, & Swanton Pacific 100