Re: Feeding alfalfa when it is cold

Here in Reno, I am able to get good grass hay from my local feed store.  They keep
it stocked.  It is the same price as their alfalfa.  I also bought grass hay from
a local hay dealer last year.  The first batch was excellent quality, the second
batch was good nutritionally speaking, but had been baled a little dry and was a
bit more of a pain to feed.  All in all, I've been extremely happy with the grass
hay here (most of it comes out of Sierra Valley, CA... but some from the
Gardnerville and Smith Valley, NV area).  I feed grass exclusively, no alfalfa in
two years now.  Even when it gets cold, I simply make sure they have hay in front
of them at pretty much all times and I bump up the dose of beet-pulp and dry cob a
little bit.

I'm a complete convert.  Ok, I admit it though.... I own "air" Morgans.  All easy
keepers. They get fat on nearly nothing.

Kirsten

--
Kirsten Price
Vermilion Desert Ranch