Re: Feeding alfalfa when it is cold

>Well, there's certainly plenty of good grass hay available in Southern
>and Central Ca, so it doesn't seem unreasonable for it to be available a
>little further north.
>
>Thanks for the info on getting a hold of the growers.  Hopefully the
>folks up north will be able to get some good quality hay.  Maybe some
>people can get together to buy a full load and get a better price to
>boot.
>
>Susan G

Very rarely have I found  bermuda that my horses will eat with any relish
-- so I use it when I have horses that need to lose weight:  they'll eat
enough to  stay alive, but that's about it (even when I had horses in
training in Lancaster and those people got bermuda from a variety of
sources the horses never developed a liking for it).   I wouldn't dare use
it during a competition when I really want them to eat!  Fortunately we
have good forage (oat/wheat/barley) and oat hay grown here in Santa Barbara
county that the horses like (and it's generally  the same or cheaper than
bermuda, which has to be "imported"), so we do have an alternative to
straight alfalfa (I get good results going 50-50 and avoiding the rich
cuttings  of the alfalfa ).

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky