Re: Feeding alfalfa when it is cold

In a message dated 99-01-06 15:23:01 EST, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Yes, I've heard from a number of people that grass hay is impossible to
>  come by up there [San Francisco Bay Area].

Susan, Dr. Bray, the speaker on nutrition at last year's AERC convention in
Sacramento, replied to someone who said that their dealer didn't carry good
grass hay that you have to demand it over and over.  It's certainly true that
any kind of retailer will stock only what he can sell.  So maybe we all need
to make more noise until we get what we want.

Good grass hay IS available in northern California if you can pick it up
yourself at the grower or can take delivery on a truck and trailer load (or
talk your dealer into stocking it).  We got some excellent ryegrass hay with a
bit of clover last year from the San Joaquin Valley Hay Growers Assn.  The
assn. hires salesmen you can call and ask to find exactly what you want.  Then
you arrange to pick it up or they will hire the truck to have it delivered to
you.

Call either the San Joaquin Valley Hay Growers in Tracy at 209/835-1662, or,
if you're farther south, the Kern County Hay Growers Assn. at 805/831-2302.

Linda
San Francisco