Re:Linseed Oil

Careful there with the linseed oil! It is not like corn or vegetable oil. It is a
cathartic laxative like castor oil! Yes it is a good source of omega 3 fatty
acids. I will prescribe it is small doses (2 oz) per day for horses that have
chronic colic problems for a very mild laxative effect, and a nice side effect
is the improvement in their haircoat. However, when given a quart, horses
showed went off feed, were depressed and had dropped white cell counts
and altered liver enzymes. (Schumacher, et al. Journal of Veterinary Internal
Medicine, Sept 1997, pp296-299).
If you are going to use it in small doses, be sure to get RAW linseed oil - I
get it from the paint store by the gallon. Never use BOILED linseed oil - it
contains highly toxic metallic salts for use as a wood preservative.

Cheers,
Trisha

Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM & ACVCP
Associate Professor, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B4
306-966-7359/FAX 306-966-7376