Re: LD Rule change--Long (and intense!)

><< Note the ease with which non-competitve 25 mile training rides became
>races. >>
>
>Another good point, though I'm not sure I'm reading it the way you
>intended.  As I understand it, one of the important considerations in
>requiring sanctioning for all rides of any distance held on the same day
>is to limit the number of bad incidents (horses being run to death) that
>may occur. As someone pointed out earlier, if this happens during an
>unsanctioned 15-mi ride on the same site and on the same day as an AERC
>ride, the AERC will get the bad press whether that particular ride was
>sanctioned or not.

Yeah, right.  How many horses are being run to death now, without
sanctioning pleasure rides?  Does anyone seriously believe that the same
vets and ride managers that oversee the welfare of the 50+ horses will
allow a horse to be abused in front of them, just because its distance
isn't sanctioned?

>And by the way, may I ask your identity?  I am always a bit offput by a
>long opinion piece posted anonymously, particularly from an email addy I
>don't recognize.  I don't mean to imply that you were deliberately
>practicing subterfuge; you may have simply forgotten to sign your message.
>I think that author identity and physical location are important facts in
>weighing the opinions of that individual.

Sure!  Wasn't really aware of the need to sign, since most of us don't know
each other anyway, but here goes:  Terre O'Brennan, NW Region, AERC 2548,
member since mid-80s, 3000+ miles including something like 10 100s, havn't
done a LD ride since the early 80s.