Re: LD Rule change--Long (and intense!)

>Another post that is unsigned....
Wasn't really aware of the need to sign, since most of us don't know each
other anyway, but here goes:  Terre O'Brennan, NW Region, AERC 2548, member
since mid-80s, 3000+ miles including something like 10 100s, havn't done a
LD ride since the early 80s.

However, I will answer from my own personal>standpoint.  The LD riders have
demanded and received 92 awards from AERC for>LD riders starting next year.
 Top ten regionally and top ten nationally along >with national BC awards.
Don't you think they should have to pay the same >fees the other distances
pay?

I think that anyone who wants to ride sanctioned rides and compete for
awards should be able to.  I think that anyone who only does a couple of LD
rides a year, who has no interest in or any hope of winning awards should
not have to.  I have no problem with "endurance " riders supporting the
sport of "endurance".  These people are not endurance riders.

 Before you >people think about how the BOD is just out to get all your
money, think about >it.

If it's not about money, what is it about?

  I am one board member who does not think LD is the future of the sport.>I
think it is fast becoming the ruination of the sport.  LD is not endurance
>and never will be.

Then we agree.
> If put to a silent vote. I would bet that LD would go back to
>being a "training ride" only, which is what it should be.

The right to choose is what we are talking about here.

  Most people just>don't want to be attacked for their views.  As a board
member, that it >probably part of my job.   As far as your comments go, I
was not on the board >when some of that happened so I don't know if that is
all true.  However, your>comments about recent board action are way off the
mark.  You need to check >you facts a little closer.....Maryben Stover

Sorry, Maryben, I actually tried really hard NOT to "attack" the board,
pointing out that it is your duty to try to raise funds, and our
responsibility as voting members to act on these issues.  What facts do I
have wrong?

I'll copy this to ridecamp, hope that's OK, trying to get out of town to go
to a ride and don't have time to check if your reply to me was private--oh,
dear, the etiquette of these things!