Re: LD Rule change--Long (and intense!)

<< If the aggressive campaign to recruit LD riders as AERC members is
successful, they will eventually consititute the majority, since more
people are capable of riding 25 (or 10) miles than 50.  At this point the
sport of "endurance" (50 miles and up) will be controlled by people who do
not participate in it.  Is this what the Board has in mind, long term? >>

That's a very interesting, salient point.

<< Note the ease with which non-competitve 25 mile training rides became
races. >>

Another good point, though I'm not sure I'm reading it the way you
intended.  As I understand it, one of the important considerations in
requiring sanctioning for all rides of any distance held on the same day
is to limit the number of bad incidents (horses being run to death) that
may occur. As someone pointed out earlier, if this happens during an
unsanctioned 15-mi ride on the same site and on the same day as an AERC
ride, the AERC will get the bad press whether that particular ride was
sanctioned or not. While I'm not sure I'm in favor of the LD rule change
as proposed (I haven't made up my mind yet, want to wait and read the
official proposal), I do believe that the same rules of fairness and
safety required by AERC regs should be imposed on all rides taking place
at the same place & time.  The reputation of the AERC is at stake.

And by the way, may I ask your identity?  I am always a bit offput by a
long opinion piece posted anonymously, particularly from an email addy I
don't recognize.  I don't mean to imply that you were deliberately
practicing subterfuge; you may have simply forgotten to sign your message.
I think that author identity and physical location are important facts in
weighing the opinions of that individual.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region