Re: LD Rule change--Long (and intense!)

Very well put comment: though I agree with most of it, I still think Heidi's
idea of all rides less than 50 miles being sanctioned and allowing "elevator"
type rules when it comes to LD and pleasure rides. Ex: all LD riders pay the
25-30 mile distance entry fee. They can stop at 10, or 15, or 20, or go the
whole distance. I feel that this would solve the problem of who pays the non
member fee, cash flow would increase, and many newbies would not be
intimidated into either 1) Not entering or 2)feeling they have to complete the
entire distance. I can go on only my experience. I felt for a long time that I
may not be able to complete a 50 mile ride, so the 25's offered me a managable
alternative to 50's. I tried LD and loved it. After 6 yrs, I still feel that
my own body could not take a 50, so I stay with LD. I am a member, I go to
rides often and even do not ask for refund if I prepay and then can't go! I
want to support the sport. LD is important to AERC and to RMs, the cash that
comes in from LD riders is very important to all. In the SE, many LD rides
have more entries than 50 or 100s. They problem really, as I see it, is what
to do with "pleasure" rides?

Leigh Preddy SE