Re: Civil War--East vs. West

Truman Prevatt wrote:

> I really don't see any contest here.  I guess I started it with question
> to Susan if she had taken data in high humidity where thermoregulation
> is a big issue or was her data taken in a semiarid climate.  This was
> addressed to the issue of weight carried - having noting to do with
> East/West.  Susan is a good researcher and she will be the first to tell
> you that one must be careful in the extrapolation of results from
> studies to condition other that experienced in said study.

Thanks, Truman.  I'm still trying to catch up from just getting back
from Norco (and YAYYYY, we finished!  Our first 50 in five years as part
of our new resolution of Less Research, More Riding).

Anyway, yes, you are absolutely correct that results from this one study
cannot automatically apply to all endurance events, nor should it be
implied that weight is not going to make a difference over the lifetime
of a horse.  This study examined energetics and individual results under
very similar circumstances and very specific terrain (namely, Tevis).
How much or if the results would apply to all other conditions, I just
don't know.

You make an excellent argument that a larger body mass equates to more
heat production and thus possible problems in heat dissipation in high
humidity conditions.  We already saw some hints of this with the
condition score data we collected.  Several people have suggested
collecting some data at Biltmore and OD, and if I can rustle up the
funding (meaning a plane ticket, a rental car and a motal room), then
I'll try to repeat the study in humid conditions and see how they jive.
Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  Ahhh, the suspense and drama of a
researcher's life...;-)

Oops, gotta run---a five-year-old is clamoring for her bedroom back.

Susan G