Re: Endurance statistics

As much as I would die for a data bank of this sort, it probably isn't
as valid as it would seem---the problem is that when you consider
"weight", you can't just consider the weight of the rider---the horse
has to move the weight of the rider, but ALSO his own weight.  Pagan and
Hintz's work demonstrated that the energy expenditure (and please keep
in mind, we're ONLY talking about energy, not mechanics or
live-weight-vs-dead-weight, etc) is the same in a 500-kg horse with NO
rider as it is in a 400-kg horse carrying a 100-kg rider.

So, unfortunately, unless the databank also collected body weights of
the horse by a scientifically valid method (and taking the owner's
say-so is not valid), then unfortunately any conclusions drawn from the
data based on rider weight only is probably also not statistically
valid.

However, if in South Africa it's common practice to take some body
measurements like body length, heart girth and umbilical girth, then
somebody let me know, and I'M THERE!

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :-)

Susan G