Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

In a message dated 98-09-06 23:36:02 EDT, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< But there is a difference between a
 horse whose muscles, cardiovascular system, soft and dense tissues have
 been conditioned to only carry 125 lbs.; and then suddenly adding 100
 lbs to his load---and a horse whose system has been conditioned for
 years to carry 210 lbs., and races at that weight. >>

I have also seen many horses fail miserably when conditioned by a heavyweight
and ridden by a featherweight because the two riders ride differently.
Although weight is certainly a factor, I think we make mountains out of
molehills here--other factors (the horse's ability, the rider's ability, and
the compatability of the two) far outweigh the weight factor (pardon the pun).
We wouldn't consider changing the saddle, the pad, the feed, or any other
significant thing on race day--likewise, the horse should carry a rider to
whom he has become conditioned and accustomed, regardless of weight.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)