Re: heart murmer

I have a similar concern.  At our first ride of the season, a 25, two weeks
ago, the ride vet asked me if I had ever been told that my horse had an
erradic heart beat.  I was pretty stunned and told him no.  He said that my
gelding skips a beat every so often.  I had been using a heart monitor for
training. He said it wouldn't necessarily show up a monitor.  He also said
that once he gets going, he may not skip a beat at all, which seems to be the
case.  I left befuddled with the news and went back to our trailer, grabbed a
stethoscope and took a long listen.  Sure enough, at rest, he seems to skip
every fourth beat.  We finished our ride just fine and no other vet even
mentioned it.  I'm out of town now, but planning on consulting my own vet when
I return home.  I want to start doing 50's but am, of course, concerned.
Anyone else ever have a horse with such an arythmia?  Otherwise, this horse is
the picture of health.

<< From: Lynda Fenneman
 Email: cfly@concentric.net

 I have a 15 year old Arab  gelding. We are doing 50 mile endurance rides. The
ride vets seem to be concerned about his heart murmer, although he recovers
well he definitely has a murmer.
  Although, my vet does not seem concerned, I would like to hear from others
with this kind of problem
 . I don't know what to expect and haven't been able to find a lot of useful
information. I am careful about electrolytes and ride with a heart moniter.
  I don't know what kinds of distress signs that I should be looking for.
 I would appreciate any useful information about this.
 Thanks,

Tue, 4 Aug >>