Re: gelding young

In a message dated 98-07-02 19:35:17 EDT, capape@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I'm hoping some of the vets out there can provide me with pros and cons of
 gelding a colt at a young age (1 1/2 months).  This little colt is already
 exhibiting studly type behaviors and I know from his pedigree that he will
 be a dominant handful.  >>

Pros for early gelding:  easier on the colt while he is still on Mom, very
little aftercare as compared to gelding them older, stop "studly" behavior
earlier, may actually increase adult size somewhat.  I do a lot of them before
they are weaned, and have done them as early as 3 days old.

Can't think of any cons.

Heidi Smith, DVM