Re: Trailer Safety Chains

I won't argue about that the gooseneck doesn't have advantages over
the bumper tow either. There's little doubt that it is more resistant
against jack knifing than a bumper tow all other factors being equal.
Pity the bumper tow guys put so little effort into designing a stable
platform.

---CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-07-03 01:41:47 EDT, niccolai_m@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << However, argue all you like, the applied load is higher above the
>  ground and the roll moment is directly proportional to that distance
>  (this would translate to how soon the auto would tip over
sideways). >>

> I won't argue your physics--you are correct about that one factor.
I guess
> the point I am trying to make here is that rolling is only one way
to lose
> control, and even if the gooseneck has a disadvantage there, it has
so many
> other advantages (as you pointed out, the weight distributed evenly
on the tow
> vehicle, etc.) that its overall stability is still better.  There is
nothing
> fun about having several thousand pounds take a wrong bounce and
whip the back
> end of your tow vehicle around--been there, done that.  Have been in
some
> pretty raunchy spots with goosenecks, and the tow vehicle just
doesn't get
> jerked around the same way.  The real joy of the gooseneck is in
snow and
> ice--just no comparison between the two there...
>
> Heidi

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA