Attack of the Sponge....

In the 30 plus years I've been riding I had my scariest experience ever this
weekend.  I was dismounting my little Arabian mare, Lella, at the end of a
ride and my foot got caught in my sponge strap.  There I stood with one foot
on the ground  and the other caught tight in the air and the hooks for my
sponge on the off side and unreachable in that position.  What to do?  Most
importantly get my little, (did I mention Green) mare to stand still long
enough for me to think the situation out.  I wrapped my arms around her neck
as I often do in the pasture and she understood  that she was to stay put.
Luckily, I had another rider with me who saw my predicament and helped to
extricate me.  This was probably the longest 60 seconds of my life.  I could
envision being dragged.

I have gone over the incident many times now that it is over and think that
I could have gotten myself out of it in one of two ways.  Getting my pruning
clippers out of my pommel bag and cutting the strap or if I could have
unsnapped the breast collar I could have then undone my billets and slip the
saddle off  (all this while standing on one leg and trying to keep the horse
from moving).  Needless to say I will change my strap arrangement (currently
biothane) to being on the near side and I will tie a piece of string on the
dee ring of my saddle and attach the strap clip to that - in that way I will
have a quick breakaway.  I rather like the biothane and hate to give up on
it and go back to string.

If anyone has any other helpful hints on sponge hanging please feel free to
pass them on.

I'm posting this because I figure that while this was a freak accident could
easily happen to any of us.  I was lucky that I had someone to get me out of
this bind before my mare lost her patience. I think that the most important
thing was that I had taught her about being held around the neck  during our
moments of pasture chat and that  was a lesson well learned.  I believe that
if I had tried to hold her by the reins or bridle that she would not have
stood as well.  She started to move initially but somehow I kept my cool and
kept her steady while I called out purposefully (telling myself to keep my
voice calm)  to my friend for help.
 Did I mention that I love this little mare.  She just continues to impress
me with her sanity.  Now, if I could just keep her from snarling at everyone
who dares to try to pass her when she claims the lead on the trail <vbg>.

Sally Aungier (distance rider & occasional ride manager)
and Lella (who earned another gold star this weekend)

The good news is that the event this weekend was a trial run for a new ride
location.  I hope to be back with a new ECTRA CTR next year that will be run
by the same crew that has run the Graves Mountain for many years.