Re: need help

Paula;

I can't help with the eating problem other than to suggest the obvious -- have
vet check out to rule out worms and/or teeth problems.

The horse that paws is in need of some retraining.  I had a horse that would
jump into a trailer and then raise holy hell the whole time in there.  He
ruined a friends trailer mats that had to be replaced at large cost to me.  I
sold him before I found the John Lyons' methods that worked so well for my
other horses.

He explains that you are teaching more than just how to load; you are teaching
the horse to be calm at every step of the way.  Most people stop the process
after the horse has loaded OK several times.  He points out that the horse
needs to load just it's front feet dozens of times learning to unload each of
those times.  Then ask the horse to load 3 feet dozens of times then all four.
At each step the horse should be calm before progressing to the next stage.
All this presupposes that the horse knows the cue for "go forward."  Release
the cue when the horse makes even the smallest forward movement and let it
stand there (with praise) and be calm.  Don't rush!  If the horse gets nervous
at some point back up to where the horse is calm then ask for one small
forward movement.  The horse can't ignore the cue though, it must give some
forward mov't.  Soon the horse will understand you are not trying to force it
all the way into the trailer all at once.  Stay at the level where the horse
is calm as long as possible.

This is just the short and sweet version of his "Leading and Loading" tape.
If you are serious about fixing what's wrong with your horse's trailering
manners rather than addressing the symptoms (pawing) you should get or rent
this tape.  The ideas are awesome!

Melanie AZ