feeding schedules

I have a question for the vets and tech types.  How important is being prompt
when feeding i.e. scheduling the times?  I had read years ago that besides
helping with anxiety, feeding on a set schedule increased the utilization of
the feed.  Since then I have had to try to explain to friends and family why
it was important that I be at home to feed my horses.  I try to feed within a
one hour window but that is as close as I can come.  If it doesn't matter that
much it wouldn't change my schedule too much but at least I wouldn't have the
guilt trip!  I know that when at a ride the schedule is disrupted but the
horse has to learn to eat when food is in front of him.  I'm concerned about
the home schedule, day in and day out.

Melanie in AZ  "The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Arabian proverb