Re: feeding schedules

There was a study that estimated that feed efficiency is reduced by
approximately 10-15% (and is highly variable) when horses are fed
outside a 2 hour window---in other words, if a horse expects to be fed
at 5, efficiency drops if he ISNT fed between 4-6.

On the other hand, you might want to check out a post a few days ago on
"trail foods and fluid shifts".  The fluid shifts discussed in there
occur in ANY horse fed "episodically", as in getting two large meals a
day vs. being fed free-choice.  I realize everyone's situation is
different, and sometimes it just ain't possible, but if it IS an option,
you might strongly consider switching to a feeding regimen that allows
your horse to munch whenever he wants, rather than gorge (relatively
speaking) twice a day.  Also easier on you so you don't have to stress
so much getting there right on time---after all, s**t happens! :-)

Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse