Re: Legs swelling

Rayna5 wrote:

> Hello Ridecampers
>
> I have a question.  After the last several rides (training) I have done, I
> have noticed some minor swelling in the ankles of my horse, right where all
> the ligaments attach. Its on both sides of all four legs.

Your horse sounds like it has developed "windpuffs" - a filling of the tendon
sheath.  It is not an unsoundness.  In my experience, it tends to occur in a horse
who is asked to work harder than he has in the past, or if there is a large amount
of concussion present in the work out.  The change in shoes may have stressed his
tendons a bit, too.

You can mask the puffs with braces/linaments, tight wraps, or even massaging the
edema upwards (to look marvwlous before judging at a CTR).  The problem is - they
<will> come back.  The tendon sheath will continue to fill from here on out.

Again, I've been told it isn't an unsoundness and our horses have not shown any
lameness because of it.  I've seen these in a large number of older campaigners.

Linda Flemmer