Legs swelling

Hello Ridecampers

I have a question.  After the last several rides (training) I have done, I
have noticed some minor swelling in the ankles of my horse, right where all
the ligaments attach. Its on both sides of all four legs.  Not bad, but more
than just a little puffy. And it is gone by the next AM. ( I nearly always
ride in the AM)  Rayna has ALWAYS had clean tight beautiful legs after rides.
Now of course, there are several variables here to deal with, but here are the
things that are DIFFERENT:
She has been getting about a pound of soaked cracked corn , and less oats.
She has been out on green grass, but is still getting hay, which she eats.
She is on flat shoes now, instead of heel and toe. I did this because she
always wore out the toes first and quickly, and spent the remaining 4 weeks on
shoes that were high heels.
 Could it be that the high heels were saving her THAT much wear on the
tendons, or is this a corn and/ or grass problem?
I am not doing anything different with her training wise. Just the usual 3-4
rides a week, usually a couple 8 milers, a 15, and a 20 or 25. Lots of hills
and rocks, lots of mud. ( but it's going away, I just know it)  I have only
been to one ride so far, a 30, and plan on a 50 on May 23. But I am concerned
about this swelling.  Anyone got any ideas as to Rayna's problem?

Oh, Just thought of something else. I am reluctant to train with sports
medicine boots, I have them, but have a hell of a time keeping Rayna's legs
from getting raw in them.  She has EXTREMLY delicate skin and very fine hair.
For the same reason I cant hardly use liniment, she burns.  I can hose her or
ice her, but this is just covering up the symptoms, not fixing the cause.
So, have at it, guys. I am anxious to here your input.
Julie and Rayna