Re: speed

Looks like horses are faster out your way.  Here's my guesses.

>Walk: A slow poke at about 2MPH.  A good endurance horse,
>      or other well trained horse up to 8MPH  (A walking
>      horse, I'll make a guess at 10MPH)

I've yet to see a normal horse who could walk 7mph.  I've had a good tall
horse with a long walk that averaged a good 4mph.  I've seen those who
could outwalk him, but they're not the norm you're asking about.  Walking
horses and Rackers do their "running walk" and can get very fast, but
that's more their version of a trot.

>Trot: Peanut roller could probably eck out at 4MPH.
>      A good endurance horse, 15MPH or even up to 18-20MPH
>      Of course there are those wonderful Lipps that can do a
>      beautiful 0MPH trot:-)

Look at your finishing times.  A nice average endurance trot for the
middle of the pack finish is about 7mph.  10 mph will win a 50 at times.
Standardbreds may be able to turn out 15-20 mph, for a mile or so, but if
you see a 2 1/2 hour win time on a 50, somebody's ride is short.

>Canter: Again that peanut roller could slow it down to 5 or 6MPH
>      A good endurance horse, could push it upwards of 20MPH.

The speed where I'll let my horse break on into a canter would probably
be 9 or 10mph.   Get down around 7mph and I'd call it a lope (which we
don't do in endurance), over  12 I'd call a hand gallop (which is
probably anaerobic).

>Gallup: Same low range, I think those quarter horses push 35MPH

I have no idea how fast my horse gallops.  Over 15 mph.  but I've never
done it for an entire mile to know.

Angie and Kaboot (who prefers an 8-9mph trot)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]