Re: speed

At 04:47 PM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Looks like horses are faster out your way.  Here's my guesses.
>

>>Walk: A slow poke at about 2MPH.  A good endurance horse,
>>      or other well trained horse up to 8MPH  (A walking
>>      horse, I'll make a guess at 10MPH)
>
>I've yet to see a normal horse who could walk 7mph.  I've had a good tall
>horse with a long walk that averaged a good 4mph.  I've seen those who
>could outwalk him, but they're not the norm you're asking about.  Walking
>horses and Rackers do their "running walk" and can get very fast, but
>that's more their version of a trot.

Angie, you are right about that one.  Misty could do an honest to goodness
6 mph walk.  I measured the time over a mile course one time.  But all the
other horses had to jog or slow trot to keep up with her.  She left horses
in the dust at a walk.

>>Trot: Peanut roller could probably eck out at 4MPH.
>>      A good endurance horse, 15MPH or even up to 18-20MPH
>>      Of course there are those wonderful Lipps that can do a
>>      beautiful 0MPH trot:-)
>
>Look at your finishing times.  A nice average endurance trot for the
>middle of the pack finish is about 7mph.  10 mph will win a 50 at times.
>Standardbreds may be able to turn out 15-20 mph, for a mile or so, but if
>you see a 2 1/2 hour win time on a 50, somebody's ride is short.

7 to 10 for a trot sounds about right.  Maybe 12.5 for a short period.

>>Canter: Again that peanut roller could slow it down to 5 or 6MPH
>>      A good endurance horse, could push it upwards of 20MPH.
>
>The speed where I'll let my horse break on into a canter would probably
>be 9 or 10mph.   Get down around 7mph and I'd call it a lope (which we
>don't do in endurance), over  12 I'd call a hand gallop (which is
>probably anaerobic).

Sounds about right.  Little rolling gallop is about 10 to 12 mph.

Truman