Re: electrolyte supplementation

Earlier, I wrote the following:

> << For
>  these reasons we also recommend that horses pre-load with 1 to 1.5
>  gallons of water with electrolyte supplement 1 to 2 hours  before long
> training
>  rides and before endurance competitions. This provides a reservoir of
>  fluid and electrolytes in the gut that will be used during the first
>  part of the ride when the horses are not likely to drink. >>

These questions folowed:

> How are you getting this down the horse?  By stomach tube?  I find that if I
> offer electrolytes in the water, most times it decreases the water
> consumption.  You also mentioned that natural feeds contain ample
> electrolytes.  I find I have far better results by making sure there is plenty
> of quality grass hay and clean water in front of my horse all night long; this
> is by far the best electrolyte and fluid reservoir, in my experience, and
> lasts for several hours.  The fiber fill in the hindgut is also an energy
> reserve, providing a source of volatile fatty acids.  I rarely force
> electrolyte supplementation on my horses, and I find that they tend to have
> excellent hydration and good gut sounds throughout the duration of the
> competition.  As a ride vet, I find this to be true of most of the good
> eaters, and I urge people to use willingness to eat as a selection criterion
> when choosing endurance prospects.

My response:

In order to get the horse to drink the electrolyte supplement it msut
become part of their normal routine. This may not be easy to accomplish.
It necessitates having a supplement that is highly palatable (to the
majority of horses). It is true that if the electrolyte solution is not
palatable, then water consumption will decrease which is definitely not
desirable. If making a palatable solution cannot be accomplished then
syringing may be necessary, but it is important to ensure that the
appropriate amount of water is also consumed.

Your comments about a well hydrated horse are accepted. However, in over
300 horses that we have studied at endurance rides and three day events
all horses become significantly dehydrated and electrolyte depleted unless
adequate water AND ELECTROLYTE supplementation is employed. Maintainance
and full recovery of hydration status is not physically possible in the
absence of the electrolytes. I refer you to studies by Lindinger, M.I. and
Ecker, G.L., and also by H. Schott and coworkers.

Willingness to eat is great, but consider not allowing your dehydrated
horse (after a ride or long training) to eat dry food stuffs until after 1
to 2 hours of rehydration. Dry food stuffs in the g.i. tract will further
dehydrate the body fluid compartments and could lead to problems.

All the best, Mike