Re: electrolyte supplementation

In a message dated 98-04-16 16:09:32 EDT, guest@endurance.net writes:

<< For
 these reasons we also recommend that horses pre-load with 1 to 1.5
 gallons of water with electrolyte supplement 1 to 2 hours  before long
training
 rides and before endurance competitions. This provides a reservoir of
 fluid and electrolytes in the gut that will be used during the first
 part of the ride when the horses are not likely to drink. >>

How are you getting this down the horse?  By stomach tube?  I find that if I
offer electrolytes in the water, most times it decreases the water
consumption.  You also mentioned that natural feeds contain ample
electrolytes.  I find I have far better results by making sure there is plenty
of quality grass hay and clean water in front of my horse all night long; this
is by far the best electrolyte and fluid reservoir, in my experience, and
lasts for several hours.  The fiber fill in the hindgut is also an energy
reserve, providing a source of volatile fatty acids.  I rarely force
electrolyte supplementation on my horses, and I find that they tend to have
excellent hydration and good gut sounds throughout the duration of the
competition.  As a ride vet, I find this to be true of most of the good
eaters, and I urge people to use willingness to eat as a selection criterion
when choosing endurance prospects.

Heidi