Re: training/tranquilizers

Hi, Lysane--

Ditto to the suggestions that you can certainly get your horse fit enough to
ride the rides on your schedule, but perhaps not to optimum fitness.

As to the tranquilizers, I would suggest that you contact Dr. Beecher, who
chairs the AERC veterinary committee, and see how far he is with the list he
is working on for suggested "safe" withdrawal times.  The longer the safer,
so you might want to consider even shoeing 10 days or more prior to
competition.  (A week is kind of minimum in my opinion for pre-ride shoeing
anyway, for best results.)

Heidi