Injured Horse at WSTF Fun Ride III

Saturday morning, during the WSTF Fun Ride, my horse Kahlua and I slipped off
the trail and tumbled about 100 feet down the bank.  Only the quick actions of
fellow riders allowed this story to have a happy ending.  With a lot of help
we managed to get her back to the trail, bandaged up, and walked the remaining
4 miles to a waiting Vet. Dr. Jackson DVM stopped the bleeding, gave her some
pain medications and then walked the remaining mile out beside us.  We took
her to the Animal Medical Clinic in Auburn where he spent hours suturing her
many wounds.

She ate and drank well when we finally got home Saturday night. We set the
alarm clock for every couple of hours the first night and went out and checked
her and she seemed "comfortable" considering the circumstances. Sunday morning
she was wallking around and looked surprisingly good. Her local Vet saw her on
Monday and said that she looks fantastic. He is sure that there are no
permanent injuries.  For such a traumatic accident, except for the one serious
bleeder in the stifle, the the injuries were mainly superficial and cosmetic.
Dr. Jackson estimated that she lost over 2 gallons of blood. We both were very
very lucky. Dr. Jackson sewed on her for over 3 hours. She has a superficial
cut on the exterior of her ear, but no damage to the inner ear or the eyes.
The large gaping chest wound just missed both jugular veins. Dr. Jackson sewed
the muscle and skin back together and inserted a drain tube. It looks good.
She does have a bruised extensor tendon, but it is just bruised, not bowed,
and it luckily wasn't the flexors. She has several other minor cuts and
scrapes that needed sewing and cleaning, but all in all she is in pretty good
shape considering the tumble she took.

 We can't thank everybody enough who helped us through this near tragic
accident.  Without the help of so many people, Kahlua would not be here
today.When it first happened I honestly didn't think that she was going to
make it up the cliff, much less out of the canyon. Without all of your help, I
definitely would have lost her.  I know that I won't be able to thank
everybody, but I am going to try:  Joe Larkin, thank you for having excellent
hearing and being the only one that heard my calls of "Help!" when we fell.
 When you first arrived, your calm confident voice allowed me to realize that
we had a chance. Even after Kahlua pinned you against a tree and ripped your
pants, you were still calm and supportive.  Chuck Gabri, thank you for leading
Kahlula down the trail while I held pressure to her bleeding stifle.  After
your recent knee surgery, your effort was truly appreciated.  Dr. Leonard
Davis MD, thank you for evaluating her wounds and assisiting in the bandaging.
 It was reassuring to have such a professional nearby. Mike Shackleford, thank
you for helping to hold pressure on Kahlua's wounds as we walked out. Chuck
Mather, thank you for running down the trail and meeting us with additional
dressings and first aid equipment.  Larry Suddjian, thank you for organizing
the ride and having cell phones and ham radios in place.  You immediate call
for an emergency Vetenarian saved the day.  Bill Pryor, thank you for using
you 4X4 to deliver the Vet to the bottom of the trail.  Kahlua had already
been forced to walk 4 miles and was fading fast.  Without you bringing the Vet
to meet us and stop her bleeding I don't know if she would have made it to the
trailer.  Richard and Natalie, thank you for carrying out Kahlua's saddle.
 The saddle belongs to my wife and I was trying it out for the first time.
 Later in the day somebody told me that when they asked me what I wanted to do
with the saddle, I said, "Just leave it there..."  Thank you for taking upon
yourself to bring it out.  Martin Macken, thank you for talking me into
getting my ham radio license.  My radio was in the saddle and although it was
a little scratched up, we were able to get a hold of ride management and they
immediately assembled the help we needed.  It would have been at least an
additional hour or two before we had help without it.  I will never leave home
without it.  Dr. Jackson DVM, thank you. Your response on a Saturday  morning
was outstanding.  Your words of encouragement during the long hours of
suturing were comforting.  Most of all, thank you Kahlua for being such a good
patient.  Whether she was in shock or just scared, she was amazingly quite and
calm considering the circumstances.

Dr. Jim Edwards just left (Monday morning) and he said that Kahlua is going to
be fine.  I almost find it unbelievable after what she has been through.  He
even said that she would probably have enough time to recuperate and get back
into shape for Tevis...   We'll see about that.  One thing at a time.  If you
are up to it, you can view the pictures at the Gold Country Endurance Rider's
Web Site at: http://members.aol.com/gcerclub/index.html