Re: Pregnant mares

At 07:03 AM 4/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Concerning the statement below - Dane Frazier - current AERC president
>and I  -did
>a search thru the online AERC rules at the convention for this topic.
>
>There is no rule concerning pregnant mares in the current AERC rules.
>
>Mike Maul
>W Region
>Sunnyvale, CA
>
>< AERC's rules about
> pregnant (at least *obviously* pregnant) mares in competition are good
> ones  >>

So is it up to individual ride managers to choose to not allow pregnant mares?
In a flyer I just received for the Chimayo Chile Ride, SW Region, May 9th,
rule #2. reads:
"Horses must be a least 5 years old for the 50 miler.  Horses must be a least
four years old or older for the 25 miler.  Mares in foal are not permitted."

This is an AERC sanctioned ride.  Seems I've seen this rule on other ride
flyers also.  How common is it?

Pamela Bertin
Crestone, CO